1. What quality do you like most in men?
An acute sense of humour usually stands out for me.
2. Your happiest moment?
Seeing my very first design on the road… Caged Canary (from TRIBE's Birds of a Feather) gave me total satisfaction!
3. Your secret fear?
Not maximising my potential.
4. Which living person do you admire most?
Bill Maher… such an inspiration!
5. What quality do you value most in your friends both male or female?
Loyalty. It serves all.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
My peace of mind as I seek to give excellence to my clients!
7. The place you would like to visit before you die?
8. What is your favourite journey?
Life is a continuous journey and has been a roller coaster ride. Through it all, I am still hanging on tight!
9. What advice would you give to people wishing to enter your field?
Get a mentor and stick with it. Growth and success does not come easily, and too many people give up or are deterred too soon.
10. What is your current state of mind?
Success in all things…Potential exists in order to be maximised.
11. What is the trait you most deplore in others?
12. What is your greatest joy?
The ability to do what I love to do…design, create and making the inanimate, animate.
13. What is your biggest turn on in a man?
A safe driver.
14. When is your guilty pleasure?
Movie popcorn, which often faces off with my Carnival body goals!
15. What is your lowest depth of misery?
Hearing dissatisfaction from a client. However, it makes me even more determined to push for excellence.
16. What is your pet peeve?
Littering; pressing an already pressed elevator button 20 times with the assumption that elevator will come faster; asking inane questions…gosh too many to mention!
17. What do you get complimented most about?
My designs, my smile and my optimistic outlook on life.
18. When was the last time you cried?
19. What was the first thing you did this morning?
Thanked God for another chance.
20. What do you consider your most cherished virtue?
My family and friendships, which often intertwine into a sacred treasure.
21. If you had one personal wish (which you alone can bebefi from hence world peace. etc nit aopplaicabke what woukld it be?
My personal wish? That's easy – to continue to use my natural design talents to see others happy, for a very long time. Giving back something meaningful has always brought me personal fulfillment. It is the greatest feeling, and will never change!
Solange Shaw-Gopaul is one of the designers of the popular Carnival band TRIBE.
She studied at Ryerson University, Toronto attaining a Bachelor of Commerce degree while doing a handful of jewelry courses at George Brown College on the side.
Shaw-Gopaul comes from a family of artists who mostly paint but she ignited her creative spark with jewelry design.
She formed the business Sweet Eye Designs and created earrings, necklaces etc all handmade and one of a kind. Her first costume design was in 2008 – Caged Canary in TRIBE's presentation called Birds of a Feather. Solange credits Gail Cabral, one of the lead designers of TRIBE, for mentoring her and guiding her as a beginner in the field.
The support for Shaw-Gopaul's Carnival designs has been overwhelming for her. It has fuelled her confidence to do more than one design this year. This is her first year doing four Carnival designs, two for BLISS and two for TRIBE. She has not forgotten the people that support her continuously though…loyalty is very important to her.
Solange Shaw-Gopaul also works as an Events Coordinator at Ultimate Event and will be launching her jewelry collection soon.